Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship
The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship
Become an MLK Scholar - $5,000 Scholarship
The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship is awarded to a student who impacts the campus through leadership, involvement, and commitment to service that aligns with the philosophy and works of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The recipient will be awarded a maximum of $5,000 for the year. They must have 30 credit hours or more as of December 2022 with a minimum grade point average of 3.0. The recipient must have completed at least one semester at Baylor and have two consecutive semesters remaining.
For more information, please contact Tranquility Cowan, Assistant Director for the Department of Multicultural Affairs at Tranquility_Gordon@baylor.edu.
Who Should Apply
For consideration, applicants must:
- Demonstrate their impact on the campus through leadership, involvement, and commitment to service that aligns with the philosophy and works of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Complete the FAFSA or TAFSA
- Complete CSS Profile
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent U.S. resident
- Have 30 credit hours or more as of December 2022
- Have completed at least one semester at Baylor and have two consecutive semesters remaining at Baylor
How To Apply
We apologize, but the due date for the Trailblazer Scholarship has passed. Any submission after February 15, 2023 (at midnight) will not be accepted.
In addition to submitting the scholarship application, you must submit the following scholarship materials:
- A resume of your college honors, awards, achievements, and extracurricular activities.
- A typed document answering each of the following questions:
- What have you done on campus to impact the student body (i.e., leadership, involvement, and/or committees)? (300 word limit)
- How does your commitment to service align with the philosophy and works of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? (300 word limit)
- One specific nomination for the MLK Scholarship from a professor, counselor, community service leader, etc. that includes an explanation of why you deserve the scholarship. Please make sure that the nominator not only knows your involvement well, but can also provide specific details on your efforts and commitment.
You may submit your scholarship materials in the following ways:
·Submit through your goBAYLOR account
·Email email@example.com and attach your materials
The MLK Scholar must maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average, make satisfactory academic progress towards a degree, and continue to demonstrate commitment to leadership and service. Recipient must participate in a total of six events/programs per semester. Three of the events/programs will be designated by the Department of Multicultural Affairs and the other three will be electives that the scholar may choose from a provided list.